Tired of that stinky sink drain? Make your own Deodorizer Tabs with this easy recipe.
2 cups baking soda
1 cup salt
½ cup water
⅓ cup unscented liquid castile soap (you could also use Peppermint)
30 drops Lemon oil
Note: Liquid castile soap is a vegetable-based soap commonly found in health food stores.
- Combine baking soda and salt into bowl.
- Add castile soap and essential oil into mixture.
- Add water, one tablespoon at a time, and stir until the mix forms into the consistency of “damp sand”. It should stay together when pressed. If you add too much water just add some more baking soda and salt until the consistency is right. Getting the mix the right consistence was the biggest challenge with this project. Don’t throw any of this away if the water isn’t correct. Simply add more dry ingredients or skip the ball making and store it in your container with a scooper to drop it into the disposal. This step will take some practice and patience.
- Scoop the mix into a spoon and shape it into mounds on your parchment paper.
- Once the mixture has been scooped, let dry for 24 hours or until they are hard. One batch should make about 36 garbage disposal refreshers.
- Put into glass jar and use the next time you do dishes. Just put 1–3 refreshers into the garbage disposal and turn it on. You will immediately smell the refreshing scent of Lemon essential oil or the aroma blend you choose. I’ve listed several suggestions below.
Recipe Steps – Visual
Suggestions for Aromas Blends
10 Lemon Eucalyptus
20 Onguard Blend